Fluted Carrot-Tangerine Cake

12 Jan

OK, so I’ve been away awhile. But, I’m back! (Christmas knitting pretty much ate up all my time – baking had to wait.)

quiche pan
This recipe excited me – a lot! First, it seemed relatively easy and quick to assemble (I’m notorious for not planning ahead!). Secondly, it gave me the chance to use a pan I’ve had for over 30-years (well, I’ve had it only about 25-years, but my mother had it for many years before), that to my knowledge, has never before been used. My sister-in-law made this quiche pan for my mother long ago and mama never used it. She gave it to me, and I always thought it too pretty to use. Dorie’s recipe seemed the exact right one to christen it!

I was right – relatively easy to assemble. If I have a bug-a-boo with this recipe it’s the “one medium carrot”. I hate that measurement – what does medium mean? Medium to a rabbit? Medium to a dieter? (Trust me, a medium carrot to a dieter is very large, indeed!) I would have preferred to have read “1/2-cup finely shredded carrot” – but I digress.

Fluted Carrot CakeAs always, Dorie’s description was spot on, “…an inch high.” I’ll let it rest over night and serve it tomorrow as dessert – won’t my family be surprised to find that Sunday dinner’s dessert has returned?!?

By the way – it is delicious! I passed on the glaze and opted for a relatively heavy dusting of powdered sugar instead. I’m not a real dessert fan – and this was spot on – not too sweet and delicately moist.

7 Responses to “Fluted Carrot-Tangerine Cake”

1. Nana January 13, 2016 at 10:30 pm #

I used a quiche pan that was given to me as a housewarming gift about 30 or so years ago. I never baked a thing in it, and it was perfect for this recipe. This is a lovely, delicious cake that turned out to be a big surprise.

2. alisahuntsman January 13, 2016 at 11:33 pm #

I also pondered the “medium carrot” and went ahead and used what was probably a large parsnip instead!

3. kitchen therapy January 14, 2016 at 7:26 am #

What a beautiful dish! I’m not much of a planner myself so I found this recipe a good one to return to as well đŸ™‚ It was a great cake!

4. Diane Zwang January 16, 2016 at 10:52 pm #

Glad you were finally able to use your dish. I am glad that this one is easy and delicious. The squares are a bit more work. Happy knitting.

5. steph (whisk/spoon) January 18, 2016 at 4:43 pm #

how great that you got to use your special dish– beautiful and functional!

6. isthisakeeper January 21, 2016 at 1:38 am #

Yay for using your special dish! This cake was good wasn’t it?!!

7. Nicole @ The 2nd 35 Years January 23, 2016 at 3:05 pm #

I thought the same thing about the carrot! Nevertheless yours came out lovely and I am sure as delicious, despite the vagaries of carrot sizes!