Brown-Butter-and-Vanilla-Bean Gateau Weekend

27 Jan

Let me first say, that I love, love, love the idea that French home-bakers bake cakes in loaf pans. I know, all you cake aficionados love a beautiful layer cake, but the truth be told, I’m just not any good at them. But a cake in a loaf pan? I am all over that!

My vanilla beans are a little old, so I made mine with the scraped vanilla bean and two-teaspoons of vanilla. My version of compromise! To brown the butter to the shade of honey, I placed my honey bear right beside my stove so I could compare. My butter came out just a slight shade darker, but not black – and I really can see how that could happen if you weren’t paying attention (“…the difference between brown and black is measured in seconds.”). And, I do love the smell of butter browning!

I served this with a little ice cream and raspberry sauce, just to fancy it up a little. And, I have to say, it was delicious!Gateau Voyages

9 Responses to “Brown-Butter-and-Vanilla-Bean Gateau Weekend”

1. Cher January 27, 2015 at 5:07 pm #

I bet it was delicious with the raspberry sauce.
    I must confess that I prefer layer cakes because I usually have trouble getting loaf pans done to the right consistency (I either over or underbake them).

2. Leah January 27, 2015 at 7:43 pm #

This recipe baked up perfectly in the loaf pan. Your cake must have been delicious with the raspberry sauce! I liked it plain, but I got a lot of yummy ideas for toppings from other Doristas for next time I make this.

3. Kayte January 27, 2015 at 8:14 pm #

I liked making it in the loaf pan as well…easy to slice and grab a piece. The thought of that raspberry sauce sounds so terrific…winter blues here and raspberries just scream “SUMMER!!” Next time. 🙂

4. bakeawaywithme.com January 27, 2015 at 8:24 pm #

I served mine with whipped cream and raspberries! It was delicious! Yours looks quite pretty! Happy Tuesday!

5. thatskinnychickcanbake January 27, 2015 at 9:04 pm #

Perfect with ice cream and raspberry sauce! I loved this easy cake, too 🙂

6. Zosia January 27, 2015 at 9:37 pm #

I’m glad that honey bear guided you to success with the browned butter. The raspberry sauce sounds delicious!

7. Rachelle Weymuller@caramelizelife.com January 28, 2015 at 4:52 am #

I used some vanilla beans and some of my homemade vanilla extract (which would be a great use for your older vanilla beans) in the cake and it gave it a great taste. And raspberries would be a great addition.

8. Cathleen | My Culinary Mission January 31, 2015 at 5:32 am #

Ice cream and raspberries sound like the perfect accompaniment!

9. Teresa February 2, 2015 at 8:32 am #

I like your idea of putting the honey beside the stove for comparison. It’s always a little nerve-wracking making browned butter (or caramel, for that matter), but it’s so worth it.