The Rugelach That Won Over France

7 Dec

A couple of rules I should let everyone know that I have regarding recipes and baking:

• The first time baking a recipe, follow it to the letter.  Can you really evaluate a recipe maker’s recipe if you make changes? (Well, there is the caveat that if you know your oven runs hot or cold to adjust for that, but that’s not what I mean here.)
  • I force my husband (or other outside party) to sample the finish product. Just like a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich is better if you haven’t made it yourself, eating your own baked goods right after you’ve spent the time to prep and bake them is, for me, something of a let down. I’ve been known to throw out batches of baked goods because I didn’t like them only to have friends say, “Really? You didn’t think to have an unbiased person give you feedback?”

With those rules in mind, I’ll probably make this recipe again. I loved working with the dough and I loved the flavor of the dough. Since I’m not a big fan of dried IMG_1038fruit, next time I’ll skip the dried fruit. I’m sure that on some level this is heresy for rugelach, but I really get no pleasure from it. I’ll double the melted butter and cinnamon sugar mixture or, better yet, substitute a nice jam or marmalade. Hey, that could be the fruit part, right? Loved the nuts, coconut and chocolate. I did have a few mini-chocolate chips that I used as part of the chopped chocolate and those worked very well. They may not be the highest quality chocolate, but they were pretty darned tasty in these. I froze them overnight (full disclosure – I was going to bake them after dinner last night but shared a bottle of wine with the husband referenced above and lost all ambition!). I did have a tough time slicing them – the roll kept falling apart. But, I only baked half the recipe – I still have two rolls in the freezer. I’ll try them later and see if I have more success. Oh, and the pesky little things kept falling over in the oven – but that’s not a deal breaker.

Hmmm…it just occurs to me that a spread of orange marmalade sprinkled with nuts and chocolate chips could be a Christmas Eve delight!

6 Responses to “The Rugelach That Won Over France”

1. juliec230 December 9, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

I had a hard time slicing mine, too. I’m glad it wasn’t just me! Yours look amazing. 🙂

2. Margaret December 9, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

Orange marmalade and chocolate sounds like a great idea!

3. Kayte December 9, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

I agree about making the recipe the first time exactly (or nearly so) as the author intended so that you can get a real picture of what this recipe was meant to be. I do that 99% of the time. That said, I am not a chocolate lover at all so times like this I made two sets of filling, one with chocolate and one with extra dried fruit instead of chocolate so that I could eat some as well!! 🙂 Both versions were reportedly delicious. Yours look wonderful.

4. lovielou December 9, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

Yours are lovely. Like you, I had a hard time slicing the rolls and found it easier when I made the slices a little thicker.

5. Zosia December 9, 2014 at 8:29 pm #

I also agree with your first rule of following the recipe as written, especially for baked goods. My favourite rugelach filling is all nuts and cinnamon-sugar so I know they’d be delicious without the fruit. Yours look great.

6. Adriana @ GreatFood360° December 13, 2014 at 4:49 pm #

Orange and chocolate together are classic. Go for it!