Cranberry Crackle Tart

23 Nov

Yeah, I know this was supposed to be up last Tuesday, but since I need a dessert for Sunday dinner, it had to wait for today.

I must say this was much easier than the picture led me to believe it would be. I’ll be using the Sweet Tart Dough recipe again and again (this was one of the easiest rolling doughs I have EVER made!) And I think Dorie is right on – rolling it rather than pressing it into a tart pan looks so much nicer and gives a much more consistent thickness. I loved the idea of cutting the dough using a ravioli cutter – what a nice edge!

Now, I’ve told friends about this book (and recommended they buy it as their go-to book for French style desserts that real people can actually make!) and Dorie again demonstrated why: “…keep beating until the whites are shiny…droopy tips….they will look like marshmallow.” The perfect description of what this meringue looked like when ready! No need to guess – one more minute?…one minute too long?

I did think the 60-minute baking left the meringue looking pale, so I put it under the broiler – and, if you haven’t made this yet, beware! The meringue can go from pale to nearly burnt in seconds – a word to the wise!

We’ll be eating this tonight at dinner, so I’ll post a second time to let you know how it tastes – I’m really curious! My only experience with cranberries has been either sauce or relish, or Craisins in my oatmeal. I can hardly wait!

Cranberry Crackle Tart

10 Responses to “Cranberry Crackle Tart”

1. goldenlifephx November 25, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

I learned the hard way about the broiler and had to make this a second time. Yours has a great color to it.

2. Zosia November 25, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

I hope you enjoy your tart, it looks delicious! I used the galette dough which was easy to work with but the sweet tart dough seems to have been a big hit. I’ll have to give that a try.

3. Kayte November 25, 2014 at 8:12 pm #

You are right on time with this…unless I’m late…lol…which could always be a possibility as it is generally how I run my life without meaning to. It looks really nice…I love how you got all those peaks and wish I had peak on mine like those!

4. Margaret November 25, 2014 at 10:53 pm #

Looks purdy! And yes, you’re right on time. Whereas…I’m late, and will only post in a few days. But am inspired by this post!

5. Adriana @ GreatFood360° November 25, 2014 at 11:08 pm #

I hope you enjoyed it! The darker bits of meringue must have been tasty. At least I like marshmallows like that.

6. steph (whisk/spoon) November 26, 2014 at 11:33 pm #

I love your swoopy meringue…looks good!

7. Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories November 28, 2014 at 8:52 pm #

Looks great! Hope you loved it!!

8. Peggy November 29, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

Your meringue looks great! Mine didn’t swoop very much–next time I’ll use a hand mixer instead of the stand mixer. But the tart was delicious and well worth repeating!

9. Teresa December 4, 2014 at 3:53 am #

Yours looks so pretty! I’ve been recommending this book to everyone I know, too. The recipes I’ve made so far have all been winners, including this tart.

10. Cathleen | My Culinary Mission December 4, 2014 at 4:36 am #

Hope you enjoyed the tart! I liked the pale color, so I skipped the broiler instruction. I’m going to have to invest in a ravioli cutter (though I know I owned one at one time…) I love cranberries! Our daughter throws in a handful of fresh cranberries in her oatmeal as it cooks – she loves it. I will be trying this myself soon. Happy holidays to you!