Best Ever Brownies

20 Nov

When I was a small child, my oldest sister always made something she called “no-fail fudge” for the holidays. These brownies are the closest thing I’ve had to those since I was very, very young! My best description is fudge meets cake – yummy!

I must admit, I was skeptical at the direction to not over bake. Well, I thought they would be doughy, rather than the soft deliciousness they were. I knew they were a success when my eldest son’s reaction was, “Nope, I don’t want to take any home. They’re waaay too chocolaty.”  I didn’t know that was possible, but he’s always had that to save him from overdoing it!

These will definitely be made again with only one change – that is an addition:  nuts! That was the only thing missing.

10 Responses to “Best Ever Brownies”

1. Cindy Harris November 20, 2012 at 7:06 am #

Agreed. There were delicious. I did sprinkle pecans on the top of half of the pan, yummy. I’ll mix them in next time–and there will be a next time.

2. Cheese with Noodles November 20, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Glad to hear yours turned out so well! We liked them a lot, too 🙂 Funny that your son thought they had too much chocolate!

3. thursdayswithgranny November 20, 2012 at 11:09 am #

I’m glad you liked them! They were a hit in my house too. Nuts are a good idea!

4. SandraM November 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

How great to find a recipe that takes you back to a childhood memory! I thought the flavour was good but a little too gooey. (time in the fridge helped that)

5. smarkies November 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

Nuts are a good idea. I usually dump some walnuts into mine but I followed the recipe on this one.
    Well done on the brownies!

6. Jessica of My Baking Heart November 20, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

So glad you loved them – funny how certain dishes will trigger long-ago happy memories! 🙂

7. My Daily Bread Body and Soul ... Pray Cook Blog November 21, 2012 at 3:27 am #

My next batch will include nuts also! Happy Thanksgiving! Blessings, Catherine http://www.praycookblog.com

8. Karen K November 21, 2012 at 7:02 am #

I agree, nuts would be an excellent addition, and maybe some espresso?

9. kitchen therapy November 22, 2012 at 6:58 am #

These were the first brownies I actually couldn’t get enough of! I usually prefer them with nuts, to break down the intense chocolate flavour, but not this time! I loved the gooeyness!

10. Cathleen November 26, 2012 at 12:26 am #

Fudgy sounds wonderful. Mine were on the cakey side, though my pictures tell a different story!