Semolina Bread

17 Jul

Well, let’s see…the sponge went OK…the first rise was a wee rise at best…and the second…well, not exactly what I would have hoped for. But, since there was no color photo in the cookbook to compare it to, I googled “semolina bread.” And, lo and behold, the loaves looked remarkably like the loaf I produced!

Initially, I worried that baking bread in the middle of summer would create a miserable kitchen.  But, unlike many of you folks in the midwest and eastern part of the US, Portland, OR is enjoying a delightfully sunny, yet comfortable summer, thus far. Today is a blissful 78 degrees with a light breeze and baking in my kitchen is truly glorious!

I loved the ease and lack of work this bread was – I would consider making it on a spur of the moment, any day of the week.

Funny story as a baking digression:  I’m having my living and dining rooms painted.  About 20-minutes into the bread’s bake, the aroma wafted into the room where I was sitting and all I could think was, “Wow, that’s the best smelling paint, ever! It smells just like bread baking…” Oh, the memory of a peri-menopausal woman!

8 Responses to “Semolina Bread”

1. cindy July 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Paint that smells like baking bread–I do like it!! I had my kitchen and living area painted last year. It smelled so bad I had to stay at my Mom’s–that and I couldn’t get to my bedroom!
    This was a fun bread, I too will make it again. Have a geat week.

2. Michelle July 17, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

Very nice looking bread! Cute post:)

3. cynthial1956 July 17, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

I think someone should create paint that smells like bread! Home would always be so welcoming! Your bread looks great. I should have thought to google it so I could compare my bread to the “real thing”

4. The Double Trouble Kitchen July 17, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

That was funny! I have done things like that too. Great idea to google the bread to find out what it is supposed to look like.

5. Teresa July 18, 2012 at 7:56 am #

Nice to know yours turned out the way it was supposed to! We finally got summer in Vancouver and now everyone’s complaining about the heat.

6. Cathleen July 19, 2012 at 3:36 am #

Your loaf turned out great. I myself am a visual learner – wish there was a picture. I think I should have made mine a bit more “squat” shaped.

7. teaandscones July 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

Bread smelling pain. What an awesome comment. I loved the chewy-ness of this bread. Like you, I would make it on the ‘spur of the moment’, too.

• teaandscones July 25, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

Bread smelling PAINT!! sheesh!!