French Strawberry Cake (not to be confused with fresh strawberry cake!)

19 Jun

I read the title of this recipe a dozen times before I realized it was French rather than fresh! Anyway…

So, I turned this recipe into a workshop – I’ve made it a total of four times, in order to get it just right!  I’ve learned what happens if you don’t beat the eggs enough (it doesn’t rise), too much (they collapse and get that rubbery mat many talked about), and then, the proverbial baby bear “just right” amount – it’s a beautiful cake!  I learned you can easily double the recipe (which I did, since my forte is not cutting a cake for layering – three layers were not coming from one cake, but I could make a four layer cake from two cakes).

Once I got the cake right, I realized I’d have to double the cream filling (and what could possibly be wrong with that?!?).  June is strawberry season here in Oregon and a Hood strawberry is just about the most delicious thing you’ll ever eat.  They really do not require any additional sugar so I only added two tablespoons for four pints – just so they’d make a little syrup.

8 Responses to “French Strawberry Cake (not to be confused with fresh strawberry cake!)”

1. cynthial1956 June 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

I thought mine came out well, but I would love to hear more about your “just right” moment! Is there something we should be looking for? I wish I would have doubled the cream. I firmly believe you can never have too much butter or whipped cream!

• scaryladyatho June 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

It really did come down to watching for that “ten-second surface float” of the ribbon, and I think the whipping time recommended in the recipe (4 to 5 minutes) is a good starting point, but with my mixer (KA, 6-1/2 quart) I learned 6 to 7 minutes was better. I also learned the whole folding in of the dry ingredients was very, very important – my dry ingredients tended to drop to the bottom, so I had to make sure all the dry ingredients were thoroughly folded/mixed in, as well as the butter addition.

2. Susan June 19, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

Well done for making it 4 times! I thought mine turned out ok so I imagine yours was fantastic!

3. Katie June 19, 2012 at 11:53 pm #

I too thought it was Fresh Strawberry Cake!! I didn’t realize it was French Strawberry Cake until I couldn’t find it in the index. I like your analysis of what went right and wrong.

4. Cher June 21, 2012 at 12:28 am #

Four times, huh? I applaud your perserverance.
    Great job!

5. The Double Trouble Kitchen June 22, 2012 at 1:09 am #

Your cake is seriously beautiful. I would have loved to have seen your cake picture bigger so I could have had an Ahhhh, ohhh moment when I opened your blog. It really is beautiful.

6. Cathleen June 23, 2012 at 12:04 am #

I’ve heard Hood strawberries are wonderful! Would love to try them. Four times! Holy cow! What persistence. Kudos to you.

7. Piebird June 24, 2012 at 10:48 am #

good for you for working thru (and I do mean work) the recipe 4X’s. I think your conclusions about technique are correct too. and yes, those Hood strawberries were some of the best I’ve eaten too!