Na, na, na, naan…Na, na, na, naan…Hey, he-ey, good-bye!

5 Jun

Oh, come on – you knew that was coming!

I’m not sure why I fretted and put this recipe off until the last possible moment, but I did. Full disclosure:  I preferred the bread just salted – the caraway seed sprinkled rounds reminded me of Danish Aquavit – not a bad thing, but with no “buzz” after that much caraway flavoring, a let down!  The cumin seed sprinkled rounds were delicious, but they needed to be eaten with chili, and sadly, with the weather warming up, that will have to wait until this coming fall.  Simply salting the rounds made them perfect with our Spinach & Shrimp Chowder on tonight’s menu!

I think my favorite thing about this bread recipe was the ease of preparation – and how quickly the rise happened! (Well, that rise thing is likely attributable to new yeast!) And, again, because it’s just the husband and myself, neighbors got to sample the bread.  No one has called to complain, so I can only imagine they either enjoyed it or tossed it.

Strawberries are ready, and so off I’ll be to the local strawberry vendor this week and French Strawberry Cake awaits!

9 Responses to “Na, na, na, naan…Na, na, na, naan…Hey, he-ey, good-bye!”

1. Ckay June 5, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Na, na, na, naan 🙂
    They look great and yummy.
    I’m a bit jealous about your pizza stone: how do you keep it that clean? Mine’s a “mess” and I’ve read you should not clean it with water but just “scrape” away the rest…
    What’s the secret?

• scaryladyatho June 5, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Oh, the stone is not as clean as it may appear – something I was reminded of as the naan baked and I smelled the distinctive aroma of pizza! It may actually be that we only use it a couple of times a year that keeps it cleaner. My husband does the bulk of the cooking in our home (I bake – don’t cook), and pizza is one of those things I consider baked not cooked. I’ve “washed” it with water only, once it has cooled, but usually just a good scraping – and NEVER with soap!

• Ckay June 5, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

Thanks…
        I feel much better now …LOL
        It was great to have it for the naans.

2. cynthial1956 June 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

HaHa, my daughter and I were singing that song while we made the naan!

3. guineapigfood June 6, 2012 at 3:28 am #

I think I liked the plain salt ones best, too!

4. Cher June 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

There were a lot of “puns” in our house around this one 🙂
    Your naan look lovely – and sometimes simple is better.

• Tammy June 6, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

We kept most of them simple too. But re: the caraway: think rye bread or bialys, and treat them as such.

Cumin+chili=awesome. Good thinking. I’ll try to remember that next fall when it is chili season again.

5. Alice June 7, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

I love plain naan best with a big bowl of biryani … its AWESOME! I just salted mine as well.. and put on some sesame seeds that you really couldnt taste but my one year old appreciated picking off one by one and “eating”… LOL